Company: GENERAL ATOMICS
Posted on: January 11, 2022
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of
the world 's leading resources for high-technology systems
development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted
aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic,
wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and
manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power
generation systems. GA-EMS ' expanding portfolio of specialized
products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet,
space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy,
and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial,
and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Machinist to join our
Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) Group located in Tupelo, MS. Under
general supervision with general instruction, this position is
responsible for performing moderately complex functions related to
machine tools. Plans, lays out work, sets up and operates all types
of lathes, mills or grinders to machine or grind developmental,
production or maintenance parts to exacting tolerances and
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs moderately complex functions related to CNC machine
set-up and operation.
- Set up and operate various CNC machines to include:
- Horizontal Boring Mills
- Vertical Mills (3,4 & 5 Axis)
- Lathes (Twin Spindle, multi axis)
- Horizontal Mill
- Electrical Discharge Machine (EDM)
- Follows work instructions and set up sheets to select cutting
tools to be used, method of holding work piece, and machine speeds
- Improvises and adapts standard tooling. Performs typical
operations such as turning, facing, boring, chamfering, turning
tapers, drilling, grooving, reaming; machine compound angles,
multiple angels, radii, splines, serrations and keyways.
- Performs all types of helical and spiral milling, drilling,
reaming, boring, tapping, slotting, and dovetailing on ferrous and
non-ferrous metals and their alloys.
- Operates and/or performs machine set up for any horizontal or
vertical lathe, milling machines, or grinding machine. Lifts, cuts,
loads and secures raw stock into machining equipment for job
- Reviews engineering drawings from sketches, graphic
illustrations or verbal/written correspondence to plan the
fabrication sequence to fabricate parts to specifications in a
- Perform daily preventive maintenance on machines.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations, and other
applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted
on behalf of the Company. Expected to work in a safe manner in
accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
Performs other duties as assigned or required.We recognize and
appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse
backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals
- Typically requires an associate's degree, technical/trade
school training or equivalent and four or more years related
experience. Additional experience may be substituted for formal
- Must be customer focused and possess the ability to perform
non-routine complex set-up and fabrication of CNC Machines and
machined parts with little direction.
- Experience with Haas, Okuma, Mori, Makino, and Mazak machines
- Must be able to use indicators and edge-finders.
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings, sketches,
verbal and written instructions.
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) is
- Strong computer skills required.
- Experience using G and M codes required.
- Must be able to understand CMM (Coordinate Measurement Machine)
- Must possess experience documenting and certifying work flow
and measurements of assigned parts according to standard.
- Strong interpersonal skills and written communication skills to
interface with employees, management, and external customers.
- The ability to work both independently and in a team
environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours
- Ability to check your own work using basic metrology
Keywords: GENERAL ATOMICS, Oxford , Machinist III, Other , Tupelo, Mississippi
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!