Manufacturing Group Leader
Company: Toyota Boshoku
Posted on: June 12, 2021
A. General Summary:
Directs Team Leaders and other Team Members in assigned
manufacturing area (e.g., assembly, filter, injection molding,
powertrain, stamping, urethane, welding, kaizen, etc.) in the
execution of the group's responsibilities. Manages group
(manufacturing line, cells, or area) as an operational unit and
responsible to accomplish company goals and targets in accordance
with all company policies, manufacturing standards and methods, and
quality standards for safety, product quality, customer
satisfaction, accuracy, productivity, cost reduction, housekeeping,
efficiency, training, teamwork, and morale.
B. Essential Job Functions:
a. Function as a first-line supervisor over team leaders and
Plan and coordinate hiring and placement of team members with
his/her Assistant Manager. Monitor and track staffing conditions,
work hours and overtime, job rotation, and absenteeism.
Understand, execute, and ensure consistent compliance with all
company rules, policies, and practices, and takes appropriate
corrective action when warranted, in accordance with the terms of
the Team Member Handbook.
Responsible for managing and appraising team member job
performance and recommending corrective action.
Develop and maintains positive team member relations centered on
mutual trust, dignity, respect, fairness, consistency, two-way
communication, teamwork, and harmony.
- Provide direction and motivation to team members emphasizing
safety, quality, efficiency, productivity, cost reduction, and
b. Responsible for leading and maintaining the manufacturing and
production system of assigned area, accomplishing department hoshin
goals, and keeping on task with targets and implementation
Utilize Toyota Production System (TPS) techniques to standardize
current/new processes and methods, reduce process variation,
identify waste, and methodically eliminate waste.
Develop standardized work procedures by designing and/or
documenting the best work sequence for each process.
Direct the work of Team Leaders and Team Members by
assigning/re-assigning work stationing and analyze production
requirements based on current work situation and production
Direct floor activities through consistent application of Toyota
Boshoku Business Practices (TBBP) to ensure all aspects of
manufacturing are effective and correct sub-standard
- Perform the essential job functions of team leaders or team
members as necessary to maintain efficient, stable, and continuous
c. Utilize knowledge and skills to maintain the highest level of
quality and efficiency possible.
Monitor the flow of parts, materials, productivity, and quality
including kanbans and inventory levels; take corrective action as
Ensure quality goals and standards are met and know how to use
the quality feedback loops and systems and escalation procedures.
Confirm that team members use the quality systems correctly.
Partner with the Quality department to initiate investigation
and containment activities.
Troubleshoot daily quality, safety, and production issues.
Identify potential and current change points and make the
required adjustments need to ensure quality, safety, operational
availability, production efficiency (PEFF), and cost control are
Be proactive in predicting abnormalities and finding innovative
solutions to correct.
- Evaluate and analyze problems involving machinery and equipment
and coordinates repair of tools and machinery. Participate in
frequent evaluation of machines, tools, equipment, etc.
d. Lead continuous improvement activity for assigned area.
Participate in the setting of Key Performance Indicator (KPI)
targets including safety, quality, operational availability, PEFF,
scrap, etc. as a method of continuous improvement.
Maintain, monitor, and update department and KPI board and
graphs, daily, and initiate continuous improvement activities.
Initiate, coordinate, and participate in safety, quality,
productivity, and cost improvement projects.
- Lead the implementation of team members' ideas and suggestions
and management directed initiatives.
e. Maintain a safe working environment for all team members.
Ensure compliance with safety regulations, Personal Protective
Equipment (PPE) requirements, and company safety policies and
Lead, perform, and/or participate in ergonomic exercises, 5S
housekeeping, accident investigation, and safety audits and related
Lead ergonomic assessments of team member work stations and
implement countermeasures and job rotation to improve long-term
safe working conditions and team member well-being.
Maintain knowledge of procedures concerning Hazardous Waste,
Spill Response, and Plant Security.
- Monitor safety and health of team members to ensure their
f. Train and coach team members to maintain productivity and
quality standards, in TS19649, ISO 14001, environmental, safety,
quality, job performance, setups, trouble shooting, and continuous
Orientate and oversee all training of team members and assign
experienced and/or certified trainers to perform new team member
training and cross training as needed.
Maintain training matrix for team leaders and/or team members,
assuring training is effective and corrects sub-standard
Maintain, plan, and prepare department instruction manuals.
- Ensure further development of team members through performance
evaluation, development of training plans, feedback, coaching, and
g. Collect, record, and analyze information while maintaining
documentation regarding the activities in the assigned area as
defined by company policy, procedure, or practice.
Prepare business reports and spread sheets of required data.
Maintain specified records, files and logs of department/shift
activities such as production, production problems, parts
shortages, scrap, quality, maintenance, etc. (manual and computer)
as required. Perform other various administrative duties.
- Monitor and maintain team member time, attendance, and training
h. Communicate frequently with internal contacts on various
Through daily start of shift and communication meetings, keep
team members informed on issues relevant to them and encourage
Maintain daily and/or frequent communication with upstream and
downstream groups/areas and support departments to ensure efficient
and stable operations in a team-based environment.
- Coordinate communications between shifts for assigned
C. Minimum Qualifications/Requirements:
- Associate's degree in Business, Manufacturing, or related field
required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant manufacturing experience
- Minimum two (2) years of previous leadership or supervisory
- Automotive industry experience preferred with parts production,
quality, or production control experience a plus.
- Experience in automotive interiors including carpets, filters,
powertrain, seating, and/or trim preferred.
- Working knowledge and experience with TPS and Production
Efficiency (PEFF) system preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the
job functions of a leadership role.
- Must be able to work a fixed or rotating shift schedule,
including daily or weekend overtime.
- Thorough understanding of company product, trade terminology,
quality management and control systems and techniques,
manufacturing processes including material controls, work flow,
scheduling, kanban, machine operation, and company policies as
- Good mechanical aptitude.
- Basic math and analytical skills.
- Ability to effectively facilitate problem solving and
- Ability work with a dynamic team and demanding
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multicultural work
- Ability to work with multiple departments and prioritize
- Ability to read instruction manuals, blue prints, and
- Ability to plan, supervise, and perform functions of assigned
- Ability to maintain on call flexibility to control abnormal
- Ability to be flexible in a constantly changing production
- Active listener with effective leadership, communication, and
- Must be able to multi-task, handle diversity, and provide
leadership through problem resolution.
- Ability to communicate and work well with all levels of the
organization in a team environment.
- Ability to adapt available skills and equipment to respond to
unforeseen demands and/or problems.
- Ability to implement plans to control and maintain safety,
quality, 5S, cost, and efficiency for assigned areas.
- Strong organization, time management, and planning skills and
ability to manage multiple tasks with tight deadlines.
- Ability to teach team leaders and team members in basic
fundamental skills and facilitate Job Instruction Training
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Previous experience working with integrated computer programs
and/or applications. ERP System experience (e.g., Oracle)
- Solid working knowledge and demonstrated experience with
Microsoft Office and other computer-based applications (e.g., MS
Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Lotus Notes/Outlook, Internet,
Must be willing to successfully complete and use training for
items below as required by area of assignment:
- Forklift, tugger, and truck usage, and pass certification.
- Overhead crane operation.
- Cross training for leading other plant support
- RCRA and DOT hazardous waste requirements, and pass
- Computer-based software, applications, and systems (e.g.,
Oracle, Kronos, Future 3, etc.).
D. Work Environment/Conditions:
Office: Open Office Environment, moderate noise level.
Plant: Various types of manufacturing environments.
- Standard automotive plant environment with moderate noise
- PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as safety glasses,
steel toe shoes, Kevlar sleeves, hearing protection, etc. may be
required in designated engineering, manufacturing, or industrial
areas. Personal attire standards may apply.
- Involves moderate or occasional presence of some slightly
disagreeable conditions, i.e., cold, dust, heat, odor, etc.
E. Physical Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is
required to talk, hear, and see (with visual acuity). Performance
requires mental alertness and sustained attention to needs of the
department in terms of workflow, efficiency of operation, machine
adjustment, and team member output. Performance requires physical
ability to inspect, adjust, and operate equipment. The team member
must be capable of walking, sitting, and standing for extended
periods of time throughout plant. Occasionally climbing, stooping,
or bending on, under, or near tooling and equipment. May be
occasionally required to reach, grasp, and manipulate parts,
materials, or equipment. May be occasionally required to lift up to
30-50 pounds (with or without assistance).
Disclaimer: This job description is intended to identify the
general nature and level of work performed by team members within
this classification, as well as certain essential job functions. It
is not intended, and should not be interpreted, as a comprehensive
inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications
required of team members assigned to this job. To qualify for this
job, however, a team member must be able to perform its essential
functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Under no
circumstances may this job description be construed as altering the
at-will nature of the employment relationship between TBA and any
Keywords: Toyota Boshoku, Oxford , Manufacturing Group Leader, Other , Mantachie, Mississippi
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!