Nurse Manager- 6 South, Med/Surg, Full Time
Company: North Mississippi Medical Center
Posted on: January 10, 2022
- Staff Development and Management:
- Assists and supports in all human resources functions for
nursing service including onboarding, termination, and disciplinary
action; maintains appropriate documentation and ensures compliance
with all NMHS policies and requirements.
- Ensures that staffing levels and coverage are adequate to meet
patient care and regulatory requirements.
- Assumes managerial duties for performance evaluations and
maintains systems to provide regular feedback and evaluation for
employees; i.e. 90-day performance evaluations, mid-year coaching
sessions/evaluations, and year-end performance evaluations.
- Works closely with nursing leadership and ancillary departments
to maintain a positive patient and family-centered care environment
within NMHS and its affiliates.
- Assists the Director of Nursing and Chief Nursing Officer with
developing and implementing staff training and development programs
to meet continuing education and contractual requirements and to
further knowledge of medical care and working in a team
- Organizes and manages nursing service activities of the unit in
compliance with the medical plan of care, regulatory, and
accrediting agency standards.
- Works alongside clinical nurse educators to coordinate and
schedule educational classes and other training needs related to
- 24-Hour accountability for supervising and evaluating work
performance in terms of patient care, unit relations, and
efficiency of service; making decisions that require expert
- Performance ImprovementAssesses results of Performance
Improvement indicators. Develops and implements programs based on
this data to improve quality of care. Performs chart audits and
meets individually to coach the employee on the needed areas for
improvement and continuously monitors staff.
- Resource Asset:Acts as a liaison between staff and other
disciplines to assist in problem solving and transferring
information to improve patient care. Acts as a clinical resource
for staff in assigned areas. Prepares short and long-term planning
and programs to address and identify needs. Acts as a vital
resource on multiple decision making committees.
- Communication:Creates and maintains good rapport within Nursing
Services, ancillary departments, affiliates and other health
services. Maintains communication with multi-disciplinary team
members to provide holistic care to patient. Maintains availability
to staff even after typical work hours and is available as needed
- Records:Maintains and reviews educational records of assigned
floor employees; to include orientation competency, initial
competencies, annual review, and certifications.
- Research:Specify problems/situations which require the
incumbent to perform the steps of research which include: Identify
the problem/question; find background information about problem;
consult peers/brainstorm about issue; identify relevant, reputable
sources of best-practice; brainstorm with peers to evaluate
findings; write/publish findings; cite sources so others may follow
- Identifies deviations from current best practices in the
patient care area
- Follow-ups with care provider-identified problems in
- Assists care providers with developing and implementing change
- Presents research findings to key participants for required
- Disseminates research findings to all personnel to provide a
basis for proposed change
- Customer Relations/Satisfaction:
- Projects a caring, friendly and helpful image to patients and
customers. Performs leader rounding to improve on patient
satisfaction and follow up with customer concerns.
- Assures that patient experience goals, clinical goals, and
quality standards are met.
- Establishes a compassionate environment by providing emotional,
psychological, and spiritual support to patients, families, and
- Acts as a liaison for the unit and monitors patient
satisfaction scores and implements plans for improvement.
- Self-Development:Utilizes resources to stay informed of
changing trends in nursing practice as well as evidence-based
nursing practices. Participates in the servant leadership
curriculum. Attends conferences, classes, webinars, and
computer-based learning to keep current and learn new healthcare
- Regulatory Knowledge:Complies with regulatory and accrediting
agency requirements. Promotes constant survey-readiness through
interdisciplinary rounding and participation in accreditation
- Prepares, maintains, and operates nursing unit within budgetary
- Maintains nursing supplies inventory by studying usage reports,
identifying trends, anticipating needed supplies, approving
requisitions and cost allocations.
- Develops and administers a budget, leads cost efficient and
effective operations, creates plan of correction for any operating
expenses that deviate from budgetary allowance.
- Achieves financial objectives by preparing an annual budget,
scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating
- Monitors patient volumes and flexes staffing according to the
unit's staffing matrix by maintaining a departmental spreadsheet to
ensure appropriate utilization of nursing staff resources.
- Daily monitoring of productivity to ensure needs are within
- Creates and maintains a unit schedule that assures adequate
staffing for patient volumes which promotes safe and effective
- Works in conjunction with nursing supervisors and other nurse
managers to ensure appropriate staffing coverage is in place for
all nursing departments while following budgetary guidelines to
decrease overtime and increase productivity.
- Clinical Practice
- Maintains nursing operations by initiating, coordinating, and
enforcing program, operational, and personnel policies and
- Assures quality of care by developing and interpreting hospital
and nursing department's mission and vision and standards of care;
enforcing and adhering to state board of nursing and state nurse
practice act requirements and to other governing agency
regulations; measuring health outcomes against standards; making or
- Assures that nursing and ancillary staff practice within their
individual scopes of practice.
- Implements and conducts regular meetings with staff to ensure
full understanding and compliance for all NMHS policies and
- Organizes services and systems necessary for the
multidisciplinary approach throughout the continuum of care; assume
responsibility for the clinical and financial performance of the
- Knowledge of general nursing principles and NMHS practices and
- Licensed as RN in the state of Mississippi, BSN required, MSN
- Must have prior knowledge and experience in area of supervision
(3-5 years preferred).
- Ability to work with computers; extensive verbal, written, and
oral communication skills, including strong organizational detail
and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop policy and procedures, skills checklist, and
development of competencies.
- Must maintain department requirements for continuing education
and any specific unit requirements to provide care for pediatric,
adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients.
- Knowledge of current literature in the field of nursing and
hospital administration, along with training and supervisory
Keywords: North Mississippi Medical Center, Oxford , Nurse Manager- 6 South, Med/Surg, Full Time, Executive , Tupelo, Mississippi
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!