Patient Access Specialist PRN Variable Business Office West Point
Company: North Mississippi Medical Center
Location: West Point
Posted on: January 15, 2022
The position of "Patient Access Specialist" provides
customer-service at all points of entry and by telephone while
assuming the responsibility for successful financial outcomes of
all patient services. The position plays a key role in the
organization's financial health by facilitating financial clearance
prior to or at the time of service and ensures patient demographic
and insurance information are correct, resulting in clean
- Greets patients in a positive, helpful, and courteous manner -
- Answers telephone and other incoming communications in a timely
and customer-service oriented manner.
- Replies to inquiries, patient needs for information, and other
parties clearly and in a timely manner.
- If information is not readily available, follows up with
responsible party and ascertains that information has been
communicated to patient/other.
- Promotes good intra and inter departmental and public
- Utilizes bedside registration, bedside financial counseling,
- Explains paperwork such as general consent form, patient's
financial clearance, charity application, Medicaid screening,
insurance benefits, estimates, etc.
- Collects and verifies all demographic and payer information
utilizing electronic edits and supporting paperwork (e.g., driver's
license, insurance cards, etc) and provides documentation in
- Utilizes online systems, phone communication, and other
resources to determine eligibility and benefits prior to scheduled
appointments when possible.
- Gathers required signatures on patient paperwork.
- Prints and applies armbands to patients (if applicable).
- Escorts patients or arranges for transport to assigned room or
- Informs patients about medical necessity and authorization
- Provides financial counselling to patients and/or patient
representatives to manage balances owed.
- Performs cashiering duties such as collecting copays, credit
card reconciliation, etc. for patients and prepares deposits.
- Assists patients and/or patient representative in completing
the Charity Application for financial assistance and/or Medicaid
Screening form; refers patients to financial assistance
- Responsible for systems reconciliation of patient discharges
and room charges.
- Refers patients to appropriate departments for scheduling of
- Flags accounts with canceled appointments as "no show" status
in Electronic Health Record system.Record Keeping:
- Processes, maintains, and scans records in a timely, accurate,
and confidential manner.
- Electronically updates patients records in multiple
- Timely and accurately submits patient information/documentation
to the appropriate department.
- Records insurance and demographic information.Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates Degree in Business or related field preferred.
- Two years of clerical and collection experience in a medical
- Must possess mathematical skills and problem solving
- Must possess strong organizational and interpersonal
- Working knowledge of basic medical terminology preferred;
completion of medical terminology course required within 6 months
- Proficient computer and keying skills; Microsoft Excel &
Microsoft Word experience preferred.
- Must complete all PAS training curriculum/certification
requirements within six months of hire date.
Keywords: North Mississippi Medical Center, Oxford , Patient Access Specialist PRN Variable Business Office West Point, Administration, Clerical , West Point, Mississippi
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!